Horrific.

A little over a year ago I said:

In fact, this whole thing might well be that this is what I suspect it to be, that being bald-faced imperialism on the part of the U.S., but that the practical result of it might end up being that the world is a better place anyway. The U.S. is certainly saying that they’re down with the the whole Marshall-Plan-style rebuild-and-reestablish after the war’s over, and who knows, might actually mean it. With the number of lives clearly at stake maybe doing the right thing, or at least the wrong thing with enough positive side effects, for the wrong reasons is the right way to go.

I was completely, entirely wrong. I am ashamed that I ever considered that a reasonable position. Iraq is a complete fucking disaster.

I watch the news, and I picture a slurry of crude oil, black powder, American dollars and human blood, an ocean of it, on fire. And armies of people are pouring more of the ingredients into it, trying to put the fire out.

The world will be paying for this for the next century.

On CNN right now, they’re reporting that I can build my own arcade-game cabinet, at home.

1. Jeff
    Posted April 9, 2004 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Or how about this? Or the August 6th Memo? Or if you’d like to venture into tinfoil territory, try this.

But it’s allright. As a rasfwr-jer said recently,

Round up all the terrorists you can find, and shoot them.

Repeat until you run out of terrorists, or run out of people.

Either way, no more problem.

With attitudes like that, I suppose the future is pretty clear-cut, no?

Posted April 9, 2004 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Yup.

3. Melanie
    Posted April 9, 2004 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Well, I stick by what I said a year ago. “There are good reasons for going to war and there are good reasons for not going to war, and no-one’s talking about any of them.” The whole discussion a year ago, at least in my parts, centered around (for the peaceniks’ part:) “American Imperialism” and “Blood for Oil” (both ridiculous concepts in my mind), with a little bit of anti-semitism thrown in for good measure, and (for the wark-hawks’ part:) “War on Terrorism” (which had nothing to do with Iraq, and we knew it back then) and *shudder* “a Crusade for the Western World” (a scary concept if ever there was one).

The truth is, there were good reasons for going to war at the time (we thought there really were weapons of mass destruction, the Iraqi people really did need liberation from a tyrant who can legitimately be compared with Hitler). And there were good reasons not to go to war (war is hell, the rest of the world didn’t appreciate our cowboy approach to the problem, we didn’t need to rush into it). I place the blame about equally with Bush and with Chirac for the failure of the West to put forward a united front against a perceived threat to the world.

In any case, all that is water under the bridge, and not even the hawkest hawk can claim that the war in Iraq was a success. And the worst part about it is that there was a PLAN put forward by some Bush war advisors for dealing with winning the peace. That was read and then thrown out by the powers that be. I think Bush can be forgiven for going to war in Iraq. But he can’t be forgiven for not thinking beyond the day the tanks rumble in to Bagdad.

Posted April 9, 2004 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I had a lot of those same thoughts. The thing that I failed to appreciate at the time is that while both sides were wheeling out idiotic, misguided or wildly-optimistic arguments to bolster their case, one of those sides was actually in charge, and that the reckless, shortsighted plans of people who are actually in a position of authority should be much more frightening, and much more closely examined, than the patchouli-scented sloganeering walking the streets outside.

5. Posted April 10, 2004 at 12:18 am | Permalink

I think back then I said something along the lines of short term benefits being outweighed by the long term problems.
    I’m not so sure now – I don’t know if the world would be a better place had the Americans decided not to invade. In fact, the only scenario I can think of that would make the world a better place would have been for the Americans to have immediately left in place the enitre Iraqi bureaucratic and governmental structure. Lots of evil bastards running things, and gradually replace them with slightly-less evil bastards. It’s really the only way to keep Iraq secular and out of the hands of random thugs.
    Ceratinly the dumbest thing the Americans did was to disband the Iraq army. What the hell did they THINK would happen?

In any case, this current violence, as scary as it seems, will die down. This is specifically timed by the Americans to stir the hornet’s nest so that by election time it has settled down. (US election… not iraqi har har).

6. Posted April 10, 2004 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Oh – and don’t forget — THE source of info for what’s REALLY going on in IRAQ:

Posted April 10, 2004 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I think that’s tinfoil-hat territory, Alex. Sunni and Shi’ite muslims, as in “The people Saddamn’s regime treated very well” and “The people Saddamn’s regime brutalized at every opportunity” are working together, something I didn’t think would ever happen after the central government’s collapse. I thought for sure that they’d be at each other’s throats the moment the leashes were off. The only thing that would surprise me more would be if the Kurds started toeing the line. This isn’t going to die down on its own, not without a monstrous overapplication of firepower that the American military doesn’t look staffed to handle surgically right now.

Posted April 10, 2004 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Bush stands firm on 30 June Iraq handover.

Beautiful.

9. That Certain Rasfwr-jer
    Posted May 1, 2004 at 9:36 am | Permalink

You like being a hostage to anyone with less scruples than you, Jeff?

Death to vermin.