Double Plus Buttery Goodness.

As always, Chu Shing this Thursday night, 9:00, followed by bubble tea or scotch, depending on the prevailing mood and the average mental age of the participants. I make no promises either way, but those may not be exclusive options. We will have Mysterious Out Of Town Guests, whose names are Top-Secret-Majestic-Blue-classified, far too potent an incantation to be invoked aloud in a trifling weblog such as this and completely unconfirmed as of press time, but as always everyone’s invited, so it could be anyone. But is it? Duhn duhn dunnnnnn!

If the suspense is killing you, you’ll be absolutely demolished by the food. You’ll be destroyed, unmade. Your frail physique and attendent mentality will be swept aside like a mist before a cooling breeze, a breeze made entirely of beef in black pepper sauce, of chicken with cashews.

I’ll have more to say soon, I hope, but at the moment I’d like to wholeheartedly endorse the works of Iain M. Banks who is now three for three in his efforts to kick my head right down the hall.

1. Lara
    Posted July 20, 2004 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Banks is awesome. Player of Games and Walking on Glass are two of my favorite of the ones you haven’t listed yet. WoG might be in the mainstream fiction section because it’s an SF/mainstream crossover book.

2. John
    Posted July 20, 2004 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

One of these weeks, I should be able to actually make it out there on time.

So, how hard is it to find y’all, once I’m there?

Posted July 20, 2004 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

So, how hard is it to find y’all, once I’m there?

Not even a little. There’s basically two scenarios.

1. You’re there on time, +/- 5 minutes. Find a large table containing one or two people, one of whom is about five-five, white, goateed with buzzed-short hair, usually glasses. Ask that person if he’s me.

2. You’re there after about nine-twenty, in which case you should look around and find a large table of people making very, very geeky conversation. Basically, you should multiply the number of people at each table by the amount of noise coming from those tables, and go sit down with the table that wins by a very comfortable margin. At that time of night, pretty much everyone else there is tables of two or three. Ask for Mike.
  4. Posted July 21, 2004 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Oh yes, Banks’ stuff is great. If I had to pick a fave, it would be Use Of Weapons. If you ever get a chance to hear him speak, I’d recommend going along, he’s usually entertaining and amusing. His non-sf stuff is pretty good, too.

5. Posted July 21, 2004 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

If the out of town guest is who I think it is, and you’re buying the rounds afterwards, make it bubble-teas. If it’s scotch you will regret it for some time (think years).

If coop is there, it’s double-trouble, and you really want to avoid the scotch.

Mind if I come by?

Posted July 21, 2004 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Some day when I’m insanely rich, FY$-rich, I’ll be able to afford to buy the rounds for this crowd. As it is, I’d be stretched to keep them in store-bought booze for a prolonged apertif.

In the meantime, though, of course you should show up. And while you’re doing that, you should feel deep in your bones a deep and abiding sense of dietary chagrin that you haven’t done so sooner.

7. Posted July 22, 2004 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

and now we feed

I don’t know about you, but I’m interested enough in finding out the identity of Hoye’s mystery guests at Chu Shing tonight to show up in person. Special bonus: if you are of able body and relatively calm disposition, I…