blarg?

February 7, 2005

Skinflinch

Filed under: digital — mhoye @ 10:14 pm

“Your search – “Skinned apps that don’t look like crap” – did not match any documents.”

If anyone you know works on software media players of any kind whatsoever, I’m hoping you can pass on a message for me. Please ask them to stop making UIs that look like Jackson Pollock took a shit on my screen at the tail end of an ecstasy binge.

That’d be great, thanks.

UPDATE: Wanna see what a crazy-good UI looks like, one you know how to use the moment you look at it? Google Maps. Wow.

1. I use zinf over X to control my jookbox, but that will likely get replaced with something better soon since its playlist management system is the product of a bad acid trip.

Comment by Quotation — February 8, 2005 @ 12:19 am

2. Google continues to kick serious butt. They’re working on a thing called “google scholar” now, too, that’s really going to be awesome.

Comment by Melanie — February 8, 2005 @ 12:46 pm

3. If Google Scholar does what it’s expected to do (i.e. blow CiteSeer out of the water) it will, yes indeed, rock.

Comment by Mike Hoye — February 8, 2005 @ 3:57 pm

4. I was going to send you an email about Google Maps, but lo and behold, you’re there already. I wish they’d use some sort of modifier to enable zoom on drag (ie: click+drag, shift+drag, whatever)

Comment by beltzner — February 8, 2005 @ 4:33 pm

5. People still make skinned media players? I had no idea.

Comment by Mike Bruce — February 8, 2005 @ 10:46 pm

6. Does anyone make a non-skinned one? (iTunes on Windows doesn’t count, because it uses a weird Aqua skin.)

SlimServer is great and un-skin-looking in its default configuration, but since it’s Web-based, it’s fundamentally styled.

Comment by Mike Kozlowski — February 9, 2005 @ 8:44 pm

7. None of the gnome media players (totem, rhythmbox, muine, etc, etc) are skinned.

For windows, there’s foobar2000 for music stuff. VLC (also for other systems) (although, sadly, its interface is still horrible). Windows mplayer2.

I never regularly deal with skinned players anymore.

Comment by Mike Bruce — February 10, 2005 @ 8:19 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress