Merkinball

I was somebody who Didn’t Have A Television for some time, but sadly I generally passed up the opportunities I had to be a smug jerk about it. But let me tell you, currently flipping channels as I am, one thing: Holy crap, there’s a lot of baseball on television. I’d have thought that advances in entertainment science would have obviated the need for it by now, baseball being just about the worst sport imaginable for television, but I guess not. It would be like watching soccer, if they were only allowed to run every ten minutes.

Can anyone tell me what makes this sport not only watchable, but watchable by huge groups of loyal fans? I’m hoping that the answer isn’t “alcohol”, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

1. Posted August 22, 2005 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Hear, hear! What *is* up with that? You just made my evening, briefly, although I read it to Miriam and that didn’t go over so well. She is currently trying to make some excuses for the sport.

2. Posted August 22, 2005 at 1:07 am | Permalink

Excuse me, “sport”.

Posted August 22, 2005 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Baseball highlight reels are the worst. A guy making a catch! A guy making a running catch! A running catch and a throw! Woo!

4. Posted August 22, 2005 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I make no excuses for the sport to such a hostile audience (it needs none, for a thinking fan ;), but I just want to show my support for Miriam. She knows I’m with her!

And alcohol is very rarely involved with my baseball watching — even less now.

5. Different Mike
    Posted August 22, 2005 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Sports that are easy to enjoy on TV if you are not initiated: wrestling, boxing, downhill ski racing.

Sports that can be enjoyed on TV if you know a tiny bit about them and can therefore get caught up in their dramas: Basketball, ice hockey, Formula 1, NASCAR, (American|association) football, golf, tennis, cricket, and yes, baseball.

Posted August 22, 2005 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

The phrase “Caught up in the drama of NASCAR” boggles my mind. They asked Bill Vukovitch what his secret was after he won his second straight Indy 500, and he said “There’s no secret. You just press the accelerator to the floor and keep turning left.”

I know there’s more to it than that, but that’s my question: what is this ‘more’?

7. Jamie
    Posted August 22, 2005 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I play and watch curling, so I can’t really comment on this. :)

8. Joe Haché
    Posted August 23, 2005 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Maybe NASCAR has some pitting strategy? I’m not too sure, I don’t pay attention to that particular entertainment.

9. Chris R.
    Posted August 25, 2005 at 9:43 am | Permalink

People who dislike baseball have no soul.