Perhaps I Spoke Too Soon

root@grayswandir:/home/mhoye # apt-get remove openoffice.org
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
kubuntu-desktop openoffice.org openoffice.org-bin openoffice.org-debian-files openoffice.org-gtk-gnome openoffice.org-kde ubuntu-desktop
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 155MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? _

This is nerd-speak for “if you don’t like my agonizingly-slow word processor, I’m taking your entire user interface and going home”.

You’ve. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

UPDATE: As it turns out, I am the one kidding me. And I spoke too soon about speaking too soon. Very meta! (Thank you, commentors)

1. Posted October 27, 2005 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Actually, aren’t ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop empty metapackages? That shouldn’t be tearing out your UI.

However, why those two are in that list of 7 is beyond me.

Silly GNU/hippies.

2. Posted October 27, 2005 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

However, why those two are in that list of 7 is beyond me.

Silly GNU/hippies.

3. Posted October 27, 2005 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop are empty metapackages. Removing them doesn’t actually cause any damage, nor removes any functionality. The apps and packages that make up ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop stay installed.

4. Alex
    Posted October 27, 2005 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Erk. Sorry for the double post. An oddly slow page load when I clicked post fooled me into hitting it twice.

5. Posted October 28, 2005 at 7:35 am | Permalink

You know, your life would be so much better if you dumped that Linux whore and went out with that nice FreeBSD next door.

Posted October 28, 2005 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Which one? The pretty one’s two expensive, and her cheap older sisters are too ugly.

7. Posted October 30, 2005 at 6:13 am | Permalink

This might cure that. I am a Linux whore, but KDE works fine on Unix, without that ugly L in front of it ;)