Spring

Well, kind of a lot has happened. I’m going to call it a good week or two, and here’s why.

• After two interviews and some nailbiting reference-checking, I’ve been offered, and accepted, a sysadmin’s position at TV Ontario, in Toronto. This is a big deal, and a job that looks like a really good fit for me.

• We’ve wrapped up, with a few small exceptions, wedding-invitation-sending and wedding-registry-stocking. This is a great relief to all concerned; we’ve even agreed on a set of dishes, a minor miracle. That which does not kill your relationship, I think, should at least be something you can laugh about in hindsight. Also: weddings are hard.
  • Funny story: you remember how I couldn’t make my iPod play videos? It wasn’t my fault: it was a bug in the iPod. This week Apple released a firmware update for their iPods that fixes, among other things, that video playback bug. Which means that all that work I did on that video conversion script suddenly works, and now I can watch Gunslinger Girl on the bus. Bliss.
  • We’ve got a beautiful new apartment, which I am going to describe as a win on a number of levels, though perhaps I am going to wait until we have moved thoroughly out to sic my verbal stylings on the topic unfettered. In the meantime, understand that we suddenly and over my objections have no landline, and hence no ‘net, chez Hoye a la momento. Ask me how thrilled I am about that. I dare you; I have discovered a truly remarkable profanity, which this margin is too small to contain.

Very shortly, I’ll be looking for a place in Toronto. Possibly, though not necessarily, semi-furnished. Pointers would be appreciated. Doesn’t have to be big, or pretty, but month-to-month is a strong selling point. Arlene is going to be following on soon, and I have a wedding to pay for; a year lease is a non-option.

But, yo, all told a few good days.

1. Posted April 1, 2006 at 11:17 am | Permalink

So, how thrilled are you about not having net access at home?

2. Posted April 1, 2006 at 11:18 am | Permalink

So, how thrilled are you about not having net access at home?

3. Posted April 1, 2006 at 11:40 am | Permalink

When do you start work in the big smoke?

4. Posted April 1, 2006 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Congratulations on the job, Mike! That’s fantastic news!

As for net access, well… time to grab a can of Pringles (or a coffee can, or whatever the Hack-a-day folk have discovered makes the best homebrew yagi 2.4GHz antenna this week) and fire up aircrack.

For added humour, try to find some way to get the bandwidth donators to eat the chips!

5. Jeff Huo
    Posted April 1, 2006 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on everything!

6. Amos
    Posted April 1, 2006 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Yes! TV Ontario! Do you realize how many old TVO shows from my childhood I would love to see again? If you can find the person responsible and get some of that stuff out of the archives, I would be thrilled. Jeremy the Bear deserves to be liberated! Do it for the children!

7. Posted April 3, 2006 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Cool! Congratulations, Mike! When will we be welcoming you to Toronto?

8. Sean
    Posted April 4, 2006 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Awesome! You’re always welcome to use my apartment if a place downtown helps in your hunting for a pad. I’ve got a few contacts that might be able to help you out too. Congratulations on all of the above! -Sean

9. Posted April 6, 2006 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Congrats on the job, Mike. Do you still have things you need brought back to Ottawa? Shaver and I are heading down next week, and can carry duffel bags as required if they still remain in the GTA. (Aside: it’s a strong man who is so confident about a job interview that he leaves his belongings behind in the city in which he interviewed)

As for good apartment hunting areas in the GTA, be sure to check out condo rentals. There’s a lot of people who bought rather nice condos in some of the newer buildings with the express purpose of renting them out. That, in combination with the fact that new rental properties are hard to find, means that some of the nicest places available to rent are done “by owner.” If you search MLS for houses less than $10,000, these often turn up.

Also, the Yonge & Eglinton area is a strong pocket of rental buildings, most of which are actually quite decent despite their age. Added bonus: being able to walk to work, and being close to the TTC.