A human body is a complex distributed system and my mouth, it recently occurred to me, regards my brain as damaged and routes around. A clear win for the throughput of my mouth, and a correct assessment, but the results are not always optimal. Nevertheless, quantity has a quality all its own.
In that spirit, and also because I do not have the brain to string more than a few topical sentences together at a time right now I am going to flit from topic to topic like a rabid butterfly, a creature you did not even believe possible until this very instant, and I’m going to start right now. If your brain is anything like mine, a state I know that, as you stare sleepless at the ceiling late at night, you both secretly desire and quietly fear, you might well find this a little entertaining.
Off we go!
- I saw the rest of my wedding pictures yesterday – the teaser you have already seen, and the rest of them came out as well or better. With the possible exception of those photos where Mr. and Mrs. Richters are making the rest of the world look like chumps on the dance floor or my best men are just generally being more handsome than me, I couldn’t be happier. I was reluctant to say so until I saw the final proofs but by far, by far the most valuable investment of time and money that we put into this wedding went towards our photographer. I endorse, in the strongest possible terms.
- If you’re a fan of the Daily Show you’ve already seen it, but this bit right here is some of the best knives-out political commentary I’ve seen in a long, long time.
- The batteries that Dell is recalling, that apparently burst into flame periodically? Yeah, Sony made them. Ha ha, fuckers.
- Want: A rollup patch for WinXP, good as of right now, that includes everything Microsoft has done to XP since Service Pack 2. Have: Fifty-five updates, many critical, requiring four reboots to fully install and leaving the system exposed while I’m working. Both tedious and onerous. I’m told that I have to roll my own, and I believe that, but I also think that there’s probably a few million people people in the world who’d benefit from that single patch being centrally and automatically available.
- Technical note: in Windows XP, if you have N files in your recycle bin, it will take you N units of time to delete one file afterwards. So if your computer seems to hang up when you’re deleting something (for half an hour at a time, in one case I just recently came across) then that’s what’s happening. There’s no good technical reason for this, but if you don’t already know that happens it can be a difficult thing to diagnose.
- Serious: “In fact, in
almost all years, the total number of people worldwide who die at the hands of international terrorists anywhere in the
world is not much more than the number who drown in
bathtubs in the United States. Until 2001, far fewer Americans were killed in any grouping of years by all forms of international terrorism than were killed by lightning”. Perhaps our friends in the land of the free and home of the brave will consider living their lives as though they are both brave and free. Imagine that!
- Fun: The Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess and I think I’m going to have to spend about four hundred dollars on Nintendo hardware in the next four months, but boy howdy is Link ever going to get abused. And, seriously, until Halo 3 comes out is there a good reason to own a 360?
I will return when I can brain properly, which I expect to be an indeterminate point in the far future, at some coffee-and-sleep-related event horizon.