Show Me On The Doll Where The Bad Telco Touched You

Night Skyline

FYI: Nortel’s “Callpilot” product has been pencilled in just under “Symantec Corporate Antivirus”, “Windows Millennium” and “e-Machines” on a list titled “If my employer buys this, I quit.”

Thank you for your attention in this matter, please go about your business.

1. Posted September 3, 2008 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

What did it do today?

2. mhoye
    Posted September 3, 2008 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

In order for me to make changes to phones on our cutting-edge VOIP/POE phone system, I need to use a 9600 baud dial-up connection over a dedicated POTS phone line, and then work with what is without exception the worst interface I have ever had to work with.

You can’t use the delete key, for example. You need, should you make a mistake, to append your mistake with an asterisk and type the whole thing again. In fact, now that I think about it, I bet that’s where the Asterisk project got their name, from being how you fix that horrible you-bought-Nortel mistake.

3. Posted September 3, 2008 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I always just used the web interface. And never had any problems.

4. mhoye
    Posted September 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

A lot of what we need doing (phantom DNs, repurposing phones, etc) can’t be done through the web interface we’ve been sold. There may be a nicer, more elaborate web interface out there, but the system we were sold is a piece of shit.

5. Posted September 4, 2008 at 6:56 am | Permalink

Normally we do all that stuff through the MICS, not the Callpilot – the callpilot just handles the routing, the tree, and the voicemail.

The MICSs interface is pretty crappy – navigating menus from one of the phones itself – but I never had to dial in separately.

It *is* possible to restrict some handsets from using the admin interface even if they’ve got the admin user/pass, and I suppose if you restricted them all you might need to dial in to get it, but wow. Yeah. That’s bad. And it’s nothing like the Nortel stuff I’ve ever used, which includes two Callpilots and three MICSen.

6. Posted September 4, 2008 at 7:29 am | Permalink

For all the bitching I do about some of the ATT/Lucent/Avaya stupidity I have to deal with, it still beats Nortel and Meitel.