If you’re not a camera nerd you might not have seen this quite cool short film shot in HD using only the recently-released Canon 5D Mk II, but you should, because it’s a pretty neat short filmed with a pretty impressive and almost-affordable piece of technology. But that’s not what I wanted to mention, really.
What I wanted to mention was this: right now, if you buy
- A Canon 5DMkII
- A high-end Mac Pro
- Two 30″ screens
- Final Cut Studio 2 and Shake 4
- Two Marshall Electronics USB microphones
- Some small variety of lenses for the Canon
- A couple of top-quality CF cards and
- An off the shelf backup solution, then
what you end up with is a basic professional-quality movie studio for a bit less than $20k. Not edit-suite or soundstage or something: end to end pro grade movie production, for less than the price of a decent entry-level car.
Wild. Man, big movie studios are doomed for so many reasons.