blarg?

November 19, 2009

A Single Perfect Moment

Filed under: losers — mhoye @ 10:11 pm

One Leaf

There may be no better way to sum up John Gruber’s writing than his own admission that he wishes he’d written a sentence penned by Paul Graham.

Would a moment of clarity please pick up the #4a525a courtesy phone? A single, brief moment of clarity to the #4a525a courtesy phone, please.

1. It helps a little that this is by a large margin the least wrong thing I’ve ever seen Paul Graham right, but still… Yeesh.

Comment by Alex — November 19, 2009 @ 11:32 pm

2. It might not be the dumbest thing he’s ever written, but it is still pervasively, cringe-inducingly dumb. It _starts_ by saying “Apple doesn’t understand software” and only gets worse.

Comment by mhoye — November 19, 2009 @ 11:46 pm

3. You know, I’ve changed my mind. I’ve gone back and re-read it, and it might be one of the dumbest things he’s ever written. It’s not that I disagree with him, it’s that his argument is so idiotic that I’m forced to reconsider my position.

Comment by mhoye — November 19, 2009 @ 11:56 pm

4. Well, this is a Paul Graham essay, so one’s expectations must be callibrated. This one is dumb, sure, but it comes closer to describing reality than anything I can remember of his.

At least this one didn’t turn into another programmer-exceptionalist rant, even if you can feel it lurking there in the background.

Comment by Alex — November 20, 2009 @ 3:01 am

5. I take that back. I recant it all. I’d somehow glossed over the later part of the essay where he manages to find his way back to his only writing subject: How much more awesome programmers are than you (unless you are a programmer).

Comment by Alex — November 20, 2009 @ 3:06 am

6. The characteristic programmer triumphalism of the Graham article is dumb, but the rest of it…

… okay, look, I will never forgive you for this, but: I think Graham is basically right.

He’s right about Microsoft (a lot of Microsoft’s 21st-century renaissance can be chalked up to Microsoft not being evil; you get people working for Microsoft now who would never have considered it 10-15 years ago). He’s right about Apple being a bunch of dictatorial assholes. And I at least hope he’s right about people eventually not wanting to put up with abusive relationships with dictatorial assholes, although you never know.

Comment by Mike Kozlowski — November 20, 2009 @ 10:56 pm

7. Whether or not Graham is right is irrelevant if his reasoning is specious or out-and-out dumb. This article reads like somebody who says the moon orbits the earth because it’s made of blue cheese and everyone knows blue cheese and the mass of blue cheese in space is different, and that’s what makes it just hang there especially over france because cheese comes from france and did I mention that I’m a programmer and that programmers are fucking awesome, and not a sub-human meat robot like the rest of you?

Not to put too fine a point on it but: honestly, fuck that. Whether I agree with the principle of the thing or not, I’m not going to be saluting a flag hoisted by that self-important toolbox.

Comment by Mike Hoye — November 22, 2009 @ 12:11 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress