All While Humming “Circle Of Life”

History Of The World

So, just for the googles: if you’re considering upgrading from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.4 and you have a Broadcom Wireless adapter of the 43xx vintage (mine is a 4312) I believe this advice applies to most of them.

You should, before doing anything else, open a terminal, change your sources list located at /etc/apt/sources.list manually (globally replacing “jaunty” with “karmic” or “lucid” for 9.10 or 10.4 respectively) do an “apt-get update” and then install the b43-fwcutter package. Yes, the one you didn’t need before and won’t be informed that you need now. Otherwise you’ll find out that your wireless connection doesn’t work when you reboot post-upgrade. You should then pause, take a breath, and look forward in breathless anticipation to the day that “apt-get dist-upgrade” isn’t synonymous with “Russian Device Driver Roulette”, and know that we are of one mind on this.

But hey, it’s only 2010.

Yes, yes, I know I should know by now. Screw you guys.

Have a comment? The original article is here.

1. Posted April 15, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I thought you like sold your soul to Apple precisely to avoid this stuff?

Anyway, ChromeOS upgrades will Just Work. I am sure of it.

2. mhoye
    Posted April 15, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Bad timing, I guess. I sold my soul to Apple before they decided that evil was better business than regular snobbery. And now that I have to do things like both “have hardware that works” and “sleep at night”, it’s gotten complicated.

3. Ian
    Posted April 16, 2010 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Haven’t ubuntu upgrades been broken for years now? I last tried one in, I think, 06, and when my wireless – also from a broadcom chip – stopped working, I vowed it would be my last.

4. mhoye
    Posted April 16, 2010 at 9:09 am | Permalink

That’s why you should be humming “Circle Of Life”.

5. Posted April 16, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Souls don’t get what they used to, I guess.

6. mhoye
    Posted April 17, 2010 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Not mine, anyway.

7. Jasper Janssen
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 4:55 am | Permalink

My server’s hardware recently died, so I had to put in a new motherboard. Apparently, the 8.04 system with an old kernel that was in there did not have the driver for the new wired ethernet. It took upgrading all the way to 9.10 (using ffs bloody CDs, one version at a time) to get my network back.