Learning materials

Depicted here, a comet has knocked a star out of the sky; it’s fallen on the ground, and we have to pick it up, climb a hill and put it back next to the Moon. So that everyone can make wishes.

Problems

Now, I’m not down on Dora – they’re engaging books for toddlers, accessible and participatory – but there are just so many things wrong with this that I choked a bit, trying to read it to Maya. And when I asked her what was wrong with, she was absolutely certain.

“Dad!” she said. “The monkey’s not wearing a shirt!”

Ok, then. Still some work to do here.

Still, later that night she said she was going to “climb a big ladder and bring me the moon”, which may be the nicest things anyone’s said to me. Unfortunately she’s pretty sure it’s “Swiper”, not “Sniper”, so I haven’t been able to get her to say “Sniper, stop sniping!” with any consistency.

1. Seth
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Of course, she’s right on all accounts :)

2. Jamie
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I complained to Karen that “Pajama Time” has the crescent moon in the wrong orientation. I’m not sure I could make it through this Dora book.

3. Kaitlin
    Posted February 11, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Firstly, it’s “Swiper, no swiping,” not “swiper, stop swiping.”

Secondly, might I recommend Many Moons as a follow-up to that book. A little James Thurber would do you both some good.

4. Lib
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Maybe the next one will be more malleable…

5. Darcy
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Just wait. Catherine took control of Mass Effect from Chris for an hour this weekend. She likes the ATV and the aliens, but killing monsters is still scary.

6. mhoye
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Femshep or you’re doing it wrong.